National Drug & Alcohol Interventionists

FAQs/Resources

There are many websites that offer information about addictions and dealing with additions. We have compiled a useful list of sites, which can be found by clicking here.

I’ve been told I should wait until the addict/alcoholic reaches their bottom?
There are a few different thoughts on this subject. We believe that any person who suffers from this disease, and has been active in it for any period of time has experienced extreme situations and any one of them would have been enough for the non-alcoholic/addict to make some serious changes in their life. We believe a person’s bottom is a accumulation of past events, coupled with consequences that finally outweigh the pleasure and circumstances of using. The Intervention process brings all aspects of alcoholism/addiction to the table including accelerated consequences.

How do you decide who will be involved in the intervention?
We gather everyone who has a close relationship with the alcoholic/addict so we are able to obtain as much information as possible; family, friends, and in some cases business associates. We will take anywhere from 4 to 8 people from this group to be participants in the intervention.

What happens if the addict/alcoholic refuses the help we are offering?
All interventions are successful because it gives the family the tools to change the family dynamic and empower them. If the consequences are enforced the alcoholic/addict will have to deal with the conditions that are agreed upon during the intervention, at this point the smart love approach will be in place. This is extremely important.

What happens after the intervention?
In 90% of all interventions performed by Intercept Interventions the alcoholic/addict is transported directly to treatment. In the other 10% the smart love phase begins, where the consequences of their choices are put into action.

Do Professional Interventions Work?
Yes, thousands of lives have been saved through the intervention process. Interventions are a naturally occurring consequence as a  result of our behaviors. A professionally organized intervention allows the alcoholic/addict the opportunity to be a part of the process while they still can. Once our legal system or social welfare system becomes involved the alcoholics/addicts choices are no longer in the their hands, and in most cases do not like the choices being made for them. We show the alcoholic/addict that they are loved and worthy of a better life. As a friend or family member you may not realize how desperate and worthless an alcoholic or addict feels. A professional intervention brings everything to the surface in a controlled yet compassionate & caring manner.

What does it mean when you say my loved one has a disease, and is it curable?
The American Medical Association recognized alcoholism as a disease in 1966, drug addiction soon followed in the 1970s. It is like many diseases. It can be passed down through genetics. While the disease is not curable, addicts and alcoholics can live positive and productive lives, if they implement a recovery program in their life. The disease can be arrested, which means it is in remission.

What areas do Intercept Interventions service?
We provide services primarily in the U.S.A. but we will travel to wherever the need arises.

What is meant by a positive support system or network?
When an addict or alcoholic leaves treatment a good positive social structure must be in place, it is a must for continued abstinence. This is where the rubber meets the road. Twelve-step programs, spiritual based programs, and outpatient resource centers are just a few suggestions to take the place of old activities. A support group of clean & sober friends must replace old people, places, & things. Recovery from this disease is not possible if this is not a top priority for the addict/alcoholic.

Why are recovery meetings so important if the addict/alcoholic has completed treatment?
Treatment is only the beginning. Becoming a part of a positive support program is the continuation of the recovery process. It is true that recovery is a journey not a destination.